For current COVID-19 information, see
If you have a COVID-19 question, .

Need Legal Help?
LIVE Mon - Fri: 11am - 2pm
Call/ Text Free: 1-855-875-8867

Emergency: Call 9-1-1 | Non-emergency: Call your local police.

Youth Against Violence Line: Call 1-800-680-4264 if you are concerned about safety for you or others.

VictimLink BC: Victims of crime call 1-800-563-0808.

Legal Aid: Call 1–866–577–2525 to apply to get a free lawyer at Legal Services Society.




Young people have rights and responsibilities when it comes to dealing with the police and breaking the law. If you are 12 to 17 years old and are charged with a crime, the Youth Criminal Justice Act applies to you. If you are accused of a crime, you may have to go to Youth Court, which is a division of Provincial Court. For example, if you have been in trouble with the law more than once or have done something serious, like had a weapon, you would have to go to Youth Court.

In this section: