For current COVID-19 information, see
If you have a COVID-19 question, .

Need Legal Help?
LIVE Mon - Fri: 11am - 2pm
Call/ Text Free: 1-855-875-8867

Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre Infoline: Call 1-800-665-1185 to understand your rights as a tenant.

Community Legal Assistance Society: Call 1-888-685-6222 to find out if qualify for free legal help.

Law Students’ Legal Advice Program: Vancouver: 604-822-5791. Get free help from law students.

Law Centre: Victoria: 250-385-1221. Get free help from law students.




When you rent an apartment or house, you are called a tenant (or a renter). The person who owns the place you rent is the landlord. Both tenants and landlords have to follow laws about renting. In this section you will learn about your legal rights and responsibilities when you rent a place to live.

In this section:

BC’s Residential Tenancy Branch provides several helpful videos about renting a place to live.